the post where the internet corrected me and I learned something

edit: I wrote this, it shall remain as written--but check out the comments because it's a good example of strangers on the internet being informative and helpful! Special thanks to The Happy Anarchist, Olav M., and Robert C.: you three rock! Ray, I'm sorry I doubted you.

I wrote a post a while back about this. Unknown in the comments didn't seem to get how bell curves work, or didn't think they applied, and I tried to remedy that.....and then, after a few exchanges, I thought "wait, am I trying to convince someone on the internet??" and (with as much good humor as I could muster) I decided to let Unknown's ignorance continue unopposed.

But then I stumbled through to this other post, where the author (why, Ray, why!?) seems to be asserting the same thing as Anon: that d66 is a flat, curve-less probability like any single-die roll.

And now I'm thinking "am I the ignorant one?!?".... so, here's me presenting my thinking. (Although my personal thinking shouldn't have anything to do with it, because probability operates whether or not I believe in, or understand, it)

This reference taken from HERE

I'll start with doubles, because that seems the clearest example for the "d66 isn't 2d6" crowd.

Say I roll my first die. There is a 1 in 6 chance of any number coming up, which is a flat distribution. Let's say I roll a 4.

Now, for my second die there is a 1 in 6 chance of another 4 coming up (44-Questing Knight, yeah!). There is a 5 in 6 chance that a number other than 4 will come up, that I will not roll doubles. These are not equal probabilities. which means that all results are not equally likely. Or, to parse it another way: if doubles are less likely than the other results, than all results are not equally likely.

It may be tempting to treat each roll as equal (for those of you pointing and saying "it's a 1 in 6 chance of a four each time!"), but that is only the case if they are unrelated rolls. As soon as we decide "this roll and this other roll are combined to get the result" they are related, with the second roll building on the specificity which the first roll provided. 

We can call it d66 forever, but we shouldn't fool ourselves into thinking that we are rolling something other than 2d6. And 2d6 conforms to a bell curve, which is a measure of probability in aggregate, not a measurement of individual rolls. Individual rolls may seem to land anywhere on the curve with equal likelihood, yet 500 aggregated rolls will clearly show the effect of the curve.

Check out that image above closely: it shows how the d66 results are grouped in terms of likelihood. If you think the math in the image is wrong try grabbing 2d6, and rolling for Backgrounds 50 times, marking down the result each time. How many Ardent Giants did you roll? How many Zoanthrops? How many Backgrounds that add up to 7 (Claviger, Fellowship of Knidos, Lonesome Monarch, Poorly-made Dwarf, Academy of Doors, Thinking Engine) did you roll?

Anecdotally (though anecdotes shouldn't matter as much, because probability occurs without regard for my personal experience), out of the dozen or so players I've had pass through my Troika! game there have been three Poorly Made Dwarfs, two Vengeful Children, and Two Exotic Warriors rolled. There were some other repeats(Claviger, Thinking Engine), which I let the players reroll.

Hopefully this clarifies things. That, or someone more math-knowledgeable than I can explain in the comments how my understanding of this is wrong.

Comments

  1. Hello! Simple mistake to make, probability is sort of unintuitive.
    A d66 is indeed flat with no curve, because the results are not added to each other. The die rolls for d66, although they represent the 10s digit and 1s digit in the result, are isolated from each other, and therefore equally likely.
    It's hard to prove a negative, so I'll give an example to explain why a 2d6 has a curve to show why the d66 doesn't.
    When you roll a 2d6, you add the results of the two die, so the numbers affect each other directly. A 7 is more likely than a 2, because there are many ways for 2 sets of 6 numbers to ADD up to 7, and only 1 way for the dice to ADD up to a 2. 1+6=7, 2+5=7, 3+4=7, 4+3=7, 5+2=7, 6+1=7. 1+1=2.
    With a D66, because the die results are not added into an equation of some sort with each other there is no curve. There is only one way to get an 11, just like there is only one way to get a 33, 42, 56, etc. All results equally likely.
    I hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thanks for the reply (& the cool links)!
      I guess what's confusing me then, if that's the case, is why the backgrounds that would add up to 5-9 are rolled more frequently?

      Delete
    2. The background with the sum of 5-9 are rolled more frequently, because there are more backgrounds in that range. You can see this in your graph above. There are six backgrounds with a sum of 7. But only one background with a sum of 1. Nonetheless, each of these is equally likely to occur.

      Delete
    3. Oh! Cool!
      Thanks for taking the time to explain this to some rando on the internet, the resources y'all pointed me to and your explanations helped me learn something today, and I appreciate that a lot. Way to be helpfully awesome ^____^

      Delete
  2. AnyDice is a probability calculator.
    I represented a d66: https://anydice.com/program/197f0
    and a 2d6: https://anydice.com/program/20
    It's easier to see in a graph the weighting of each possible result.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, yeah, you are saying, that the good old D100 (from 1d10 for the tens and 1d10 for the single digits) favors those numbers that add up to 11 and is not evenly distributed from 1-100? No, sorry. The thing is: you don't add the digits. Therefor the propability for any result of the d66 (or the d100 for that matter) is equal. Take all the number from 1 to 100 and count the cross sums of these numbers. You will be suprised.

    ReplyDelete
  4. another way of looking at is to imagine a chart where the first entry starts a 11 and ends at 66 Where there are 36 entries and the numbers 7, 8, 9, and 0 are not used in the second digit.

    11 Item One
    12 Item Two
    13 Item Three
    14 Item Four
    15 Item Five
    16 Item Six
    21 Item Seven
    22 Item Eight
    .....
    Or

    11 Item One
    12 Item Two
    13-16 Item Three
    21-22 Item Four
    23 Item Five

    ReplyDelete
  5. If the d66 wasn't flat, the d% wouldn't be flat either.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment